People always mistakenly equalize dry skin and dehydrated skin. However, they are actually different from each other. It is important to know how to differentiate them in order to tackle your skin issues correctly and effectively.
What is dry skin?
Dry skin is a skin type that come naturally when a person is born. People with dry skin have lesser sebaceous glands underneath their skin. Their skin tend to dry up easily because they lack of the natural sebum (oil) layer, which is produced by sebaceous glands, that prevent the loss of moisture from their skin.
What is dehydrated skin?
Dehydrated skin is a skin condition (lack of water) where it happens due to various factors such as climate, environment, skin care routine and etc.. Skin dehydration can happens to any skin types, including those who have oily skin.
What are the causes for dehydrated skin?
- Incorrect way of cleansing: If your cleanser leave your skin feel tight after cleansing, it is a sign that the cleanser has stripped away all the moisture and also natural protective oil layer from your skin. This is bad as your skin sebaceous glands will produce even more (overproduce) sebum (oil) in order to protect your skin from dryness. Cleanser that is too alkaline or contains harsh chemicals like SLS and alcohol is a poor choice as it will over-dry your skin.
- Astringents: Alcohol in toners is one of the example of astringents. It is used to clean the left over residues (if have) from the cleansing step earlier on and also give you a tight feeling after use. However, alcohol is considered as one of the harsh ingredient in skin care. It will give you a similar effect as harsh cleanser: stripped away all the moisture and also natural protective oil layer from your skin.
- Aging: Our sebaceous glands will decrease with age. With less ability to produce the protective sebum layer to protect our skin, our moisture retention ability will decrease too. This is because there will be nothing to prevent or slow down the loss of moisture through evaporation.
- Scrubs: High frequency use of scrubs can break down cell cohesions in certain skin types, which reduces the capacity to retain moisture.
- Air conditioning and climate: Moisture evaporation rate from skin will become higher in dry condition (air condition room) or hot environment/climate.
- Skin damage: Strong treatment for acne like hydrogen peroxide, retinoic acid, benzoyl peroxide, hexachlorophene, and etc.. may damage and dry out our skin, and reduce the moisture retention ability of our skin.
- Hot shower: The friction and heat of hot water remove the sebum layer from our skin, causing dehydration.
- UV exposure: UV ray will damage and reduce the amount of NMF, which is responsible for moisture retention in our skin.
Determining whether your skin is dehydrated is important, if not, you may miss the real solution for your skin issues and worsen it. Besides, there is a serious consequences of dehydrated skin, causing sensitized skin. Addressing it quickly can help stave off issues of sensitization.
What should I do about it?
Topical application of products have been proven to be effective in improving skin dehydration.
HERBEA AQUA is formulated with ingredient with structure similar to NMF. It can reproduce the functions and effects of NMF in our skin: hydrating and moisture retention. Besides, in long term, HERBEA AQUA will help your skin to produce more NMF naturally too.
Get your HERBEA AQUA now from our store to improve your skin condition.