Determining skin type is the fundamental in choosing suitable skin care products. However, many have told us that they are not really sure what skin type they have and also how to determine it.
The best way to determine your skin type and condition is of course go to good dermatologist. But sometimes you just don’t have the time or budget to do so. The great news is, you can know what is your skin type through the simple test (as below) and also observation.
Simple testing to determine your skin type
- Clean and pat dry your skin.
- Wait for around 1 hour. This is the time when your skin will return to its natural state, the characteristics of which will determine your skin type. Remember to wait patiently, DO NOT touch your face.
- Apply blotting papers on your face (like the one shown in picture above, most right side) – 3 in the centre line (forehead, nose and chin); 1 on each side of the cheek and temple.
- Press the blotting papers (without rubbing) for 1-2 minutes.
The condition of the blotting papers will tell you about your skin nature/type.
- if all the blotting papers are greasy – you have oily skin
- if the blotting papers on the centre line (forehead, nose and chin) is greasy while others don’t – you have combination skin
- if all your blotting papers are clean – you have dry skin
The different skin types and their characteristics
If you have normal skin, congratulation!. Your skin is not too dry and not too oily, just nice.
- A radiant complexion
- Barely visible pores
- No or few imperfection
- No sensitivity issues
Dry skin is the skin type that lacking sebum (oil) because they have lesser sebaceous glands compared to others.
- Few visible pores
- Skin texture is tight
- Matte appearance (little or no shine)
- Rough skin
- Discomfort feeling – dryness, tightness, flakiness and etc.
- Formation of fine lines or wrinkles
What will worsen dry skin characteristics?
- Harsh facial cleanser
- Diet that is poor in essential fatty acids
- Extreme climates with inadequate protection
- Age – skin will produce less and less sebum with age
Oily skin generally produces too much of sebum.
- Visible pores
- Shinny face/skin
- Visible blemishes (blackheads, whiteheads, pimples)
- Dull complexion
What will worsen the oily skin characteristics?
- Harsh cleanser
- Hormonal change
- Hot and humid climate
Combination skin will have oilier T-zone (forehead, nose and chin) and normal to dry skin on the cheeks.
So combination skin will have the characteristics of both oily skin and also dry skin. Depends on the products or situation you are in, the characteristics might swift from one side to another side more.
HERBEA AQUA – natural, gentle skin care suitable for all skin types
HERBEA AQUA is formulated with 100% plant-based bioactive for excellent hydrating and moisture retention purpose. Its gentle nature is suitable for all skin types.
It provides hydration and retain the moisture for dry skin. Its gentle nature will not further provoke the discomfort feeling after you wash your face with the HERBEA AQUA Plus Cleansing Gel.
It is suitable for oily skin too. It would not over-clean your face and cause overproduction of sebum, which worsen the situation. Besides, with its supreme hydrating function, it will brighten your skin and give you radiant complexion skin. The sodium hyaluronate in HERBEA AQUA Series will fix and even out the visible blemishes too!
You can get HERBEA AQUA at here.